Wednesday, July 22, 2009

San Diego and the Swing of Things

As many actors are wont to do, I am writing this blog from the not-so-friendly confines of an office building. This office is for fashion accessories, which means I get to have a "Devil Wears Prada" style visual beatdown with every girl who dresses better than I do. Sigh. I have the only Kohl's top in sight. Also some guy's beagle is here barking his little puppy ass off. Who brings a puppy to work? Where's Bruno when you need to satire someone?

But enough. I'm making almost 10 dollars an hour and sitting in an air conditioned room (albeit with bad, bad music playing I can only classify as Techno-Lite). Be thankful, damnit.

So I was home for 16 glorious days. No grime, no licentious construction workers, no place to be....but also no looking-up-at-buildings moments or subway rides or auditions. So it was bittersweet. In brief, I spent 3 magical days in Disneyland with family and friends, and was transported to my four year old self and loved every second of it. Ate a giant ice cream cone walking down Main Street. Cried when Mickey won back the control of his imagination in Fantasmic!!! Wondered if I should give New York up to play Belle (eh, I'm too short anyway). I also went to the beach, tanned by my pool, watched endless hours of TV (research, I told my parents), and even got to see COLDPLAY with my sister! I had never been to a "spectacle" style concert before--wow is all I can say. It was theatrical to say the least. My crush on Chris Martin only intensified.

I was also present for my grandma's 80th birthday, which was a swanky deluxe deal with an open bar (score!) And my family is the ULTIMATE Charger family so it was Fate that the Chargers starting center, Nick Hardwick, was at the same restaurant! We convinced him to talk to Nane and it was so sweet/weird to see a crazy huge tatooed football player gingerly kissing my grandma on the cheek. We toasted to the team, my dad had an awkward photo op, we moved on.

This Techno Lite is seriously destroying my brain cells.

But my trip home was most positive because it put my New York life into perspective. San Diego seems less and less like home but more like a pleasant place that will always be there, a paradise that is familiar but slightly removed from childhood memories. I never sit in the city and wonder why I'm here, but I often lay on my bed in San Diego and wonder why I left. Silly me.

And I found myself justifying it to my parent's ever-weakening pleas to keep me in California. You can stay in Los Angeles. You can rise to the top of the San Diego theatre scene. But I never wanted that. And the more time I spend in New York, and even the more rejections I collect, I am more convinced that I made the correct choice.

This Sunday I workshop with 2 CDs and the week after workshop with Law and Order CDs. In the meantime, I perhaps wrongly spent a lot of my vacation scheduling around auditions for the next week. I couldn't stay away. There's one tonight and tomorrow, 2 on Saturday, 1 Sunday after the workshop, and I'm sure I've forgot others. It's scary and daunting to not have a buffer period where I'm, I don't know, NOT DOING ANYTHING, but my poor ass needs to work, as does my poor soul.

Not to mention the foot cream infomercial I'm supposedly interviewing for. Is that acting? Does having funky feet qualify as resume experience? Tune in later to find out.

Well if you've read this far congratulations. If you've read any of this at all, well done. I've been away a while and needed to get all caught up.

Final thought: WTF Padres? Win some games please. Sincerely, San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment