Friday, September 25, 2009

In the Audition Room? Me?

I've always wanted to be in an audition room on the other side of the table. And even though I've been acting for 20 or so years, I never have, save the one time I directed a play my senior year of high school, and all the auditioners were my friends. So I was ecstatic when my bffaeae Erin asked me to help out with auditions for the reincarnation of "T.A.B." I'm not sure if I'm reading with people or not, but I know that seeing an audition from the other side is so valuable to an actor. Since I'm in the spirit of giving, I'll share my thoughts on the experience sometime tomorrow (and no, I won't name names or comment on specific auditions). I'm considering this a free acting class more than anything. How did the ancient actors learn their craft? Mimcry and imitation. How can you be an actor if you can't observe how other people inhabit their bodies and the world? Isn't that kind of the whole point? To get inside someone else's head, to leave your own, is a special kind of bliss I would guess only happens in the most rare and sublime of cases.

In other news, I find when I'm in crisis I desperately find work to do. Anything to keep my mind working...otherwise it shuts down and I turn into a poopy kind of person.

Speaking of, I had an audition Monday that freakin rocked. I worked hard on the material and it paid off as I was told I was called back while still in the room. What a great feeling and a great experience. So that callback is in a few days and they gave me lots of new material to peruse, which I love. Nothing makes me happier than a bunch of sides to go through and a full script to read. I love words. I love plays. I love reading them out loud, much to the chagrin of my neighbors.

So what have I learned this week, friends? When love fails you, go to work. When work fails you, give love another shot. But NOT A Shot of Love With Tila Tequila. I think mentioning Tila Tequila will give my blog 3000 more hits today than normal. Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment